Broccoli and Gruyere Tart
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 200g freshly cooked broccoli
- 100g Gruyere, coarsely grated
- 1/2 bunch of fresh chives, chopped
- 142ml carton double cream
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g unsalted butter, diced
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- Making the pastry: Put the flour, salt and the butter into a food processor and whizz to fine breadcrumbs. Then, with the machine running, add the egg and continue to whizz until it starts to stick together (add a teaspoon or two of water if it’s too dry). Bring together into a ball, and knead briefly until smooth. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm x 4cm deep round fluted loose-bottomed tart tin. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Prick the pastry base with a fork and line with baking paper and beans. Place on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 10 minutes. Brush the pastry with a little of the beaten eggs for the filling and bake for a further 5 minutes, until pale golden. Remove and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain well, refresh in cold water, and then drain again.
- Sprinkle the cheeses, broccoli and chives in the pastry case. Beat the eggs with the cream and some seasoning, pour into the pastry case and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the filling is just set and pale golden in places. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove and serve warm or at room temperature, with a dressed rocket salad.